Drive Thru Window

SearchKing's New Drive-Thru Window

As you both know I usually don't go into the office on Fridays, but I have taken to doing so recently, and I am glad I did so yesterday, August 8, 2008.

I was driving to the office after picking up the mail from the downtown post office when I get a call on my mobile from an unfamiliar number. I answered it with my usual greeting, "This is Jake Lowrey."

A rather officious female voice responded, "Is this Jake Lowrey?" The smart-ass side of me wanted to say, "No, this is Jake Lowrey" just to see where it would lead. Fortunately, my more mature side took over.

"Yes, it is," I said.

"This is the Oklahoma City Police Department," said the woman.

Now, as a father of a teenage son, perhaps that is one of the worse things to hear when answering a telephone call. However, since I had just left Young Jake as he slept on the den sofa, and being well-aware that it takes an act of Congress (and they are on their summer break right now) to get him to stir anytime before noon, I instantly knew the call did not involve him.

"We got your name from the emergency notification list for the building at 2400 NW 23rd," she continued. "We have an officer at the scene who reports a vehicle has struck the building. How long will it take you to get to that address?"

I was at 16th and Pennsylvania Avenue when I took the call, so I told her it would be a matter of a few minutes. When I arrived this is what awaited me:

It seems the driver of the SUV, one Mr. David R. Ware, vice president of Libra Electric Company, was transporting his two young children to school (and cute kids they were, too, but a little shaken when I met them) when another driver pulled out in front of him causing Mr. Ware to swerve. Not really sure what happened after that, but he must have hit the gas instead of the brake. He was shaken up, too, as you can well imagine.

He is the man seen in the fourth photo removing items from the Durango. The man in the red T-shirt was introduced to me as Richard, the appraiser for Libra Electric. He was also taking photographs.

Libra had two of their crew members on-site within an hour with materials to secure the window. I neglected to get photos of the window after they were finished, but I will get some today and add them to the page.

I called Don's office and they said he was on vacation and would not be back to the office until next Wednesday. I told them what had happened and that the building was secured and suggested they not bother him until he returns to work.

The following photos were taken Friday, August 8, 2008, between 8:30 a.m and 10:30 a.m.

Added Saturday, August 9, 2008

The following are from the East Entryway